Helping someone you love can be as easy as reminding them to take their medication each day. No matter how mild or severe their condition is, each task is important. The support you provide can make a big difference in their lives.
We have created a short quiz to help you identify your strengths when deciding to care for a loved one with a heart problem.
Create a “Can-Do List”
Use the short worksheet below to help you plan for the care of a loved one:
1. Identify Your Ability to Give Care
- Can you help with eating habits?
- Can you encourage exercise when appropriate?
- Can you remind them to take their COREG CR and other medications each day?
- Can you stay in touch with their doctor and participate actively—asking questions, taking notes—during appointments?
- Can you provide emotional support?
If you answered ‘no’ to any of the above questions, try talking to support groups or fellow family members. You aren’t in this alone.
2. Create A Care Plan
When you are caring for someone with heart disease, a daily plan can help make life a little easier.
3. Take Time For Yourself
Please remember to take some time for yourself each day. Providing emotional and physical support for a loved one can be draining. Below we have a list of some activities you can do each day:
- Get coffee with a friend
- Take a walk by yourself
- Take a hot bath
- Read a book for fun
- Keep in touch with friends