COREG CR is approved to increase survival in patients with heart failure and reduce the risk of death in patients who had a heart attack that reduced how well the heart pumps.
COREG CR has also been proven to be an effective part of a person’s heart health. If you take COREG CR or any other heart medication, you are taking a step in the right direction, but there is more that you can do.
Eating well and exercising are also essential to heart health. Your doctor may have asked you to lose weight or decrease your salt intake in order to reduce the strain on your heart. Use the tips below to learn about eating well and how that affects your heart.
Here are some easy tips to shake the salt habit:
- Throw away your salt shaker. Don’t add salt when cooking and eating. You don’t need to—most foods have salt in them naturally.
- Eat fewer packaged foods. That means foods that are canned, frozen, baked, or dried. They usually have lots of salt. Try natural foods like fruits and vegetables.
Eating out can be hard for those who want to eat less salt, but it can be done. You just have to be careful and ask a lot of questions.
When ordering food, keep these tips in mind:
- Make friends with your server. Tell him or her you cannot have high-sodium ingredients like salt, soy sauce, or MSG (monosodium glutamate).
- Get your meat, poultry, fish, and vegetables cooked to order. Make sure they are without salt or marinade. Try steamed or grilled instead.
- You can control the amount you eat by splitting a dish or taking half home for another meal.
- Trim fat from meat and remove skin from chicken before cooking.
Dining out is fun for many. By following these tips, you can continue to enjoy it, and stay heart healthy!